Dal Amritsari is a dal from the city of Amritsar in North India. Prepared with Urad dal, this dal is ready in a jiffy when cooked in a pressure cooker, without compromising on the taste. A tadka is prepared for this dal with tomatoes onions and a blend of Punjabi spices. No Punjabi dal is complete without the use of some Punjabi garam masalas. Serve hot garnished with some chopped coriander or butter.
|Chilkewali Urad Dal||1/2 cup|
|Chana Dal||1/2 cup|
|Haldi Powder||1/4 tbsp|
|Pure ghee||2-3 tbsp|
|Ginger Chopped||1 inch piece|
|Onion Chopped||1 Medium|
|Green Chillies Chopped||3|
|Lal Mirch Powder||1/2 tbsp|
|Fresh Dhania leaves Chopped||1 tbsp|
- Mix the two dals and soak in four cups of water for one hour. Drain.
- Place the soaked dals in a pan with four cups of water, salt to taste, Haldi powder, half the ginger and green chillies.
- Cover and cook over low heat till the dals are soft.
- Stir well with a ladle to mix the dals without mashing them.
- Heat the ghee and butter in a kadai; add the cumin seeds, remaining ginger and green chillies.
- Stir and add the onion and sauté till light brown.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes soften.
- Add the Lal Mirch powder and sauté for half a minute.
- Add the sautéed spices to the dal and mix well.
- Simmer for a few minutes and serve hot, garnished with Dhania leaves.