Dal Makhani recipes are reputedly kept a closely guarded secret within Punjabi families, and are passed from generation to generation.The traditional preparation of dal makhani involves a series of time-consuming procedures, which can take up to 24hours to complete. However, with the availability of modern cooking equipment, including electric pressure cookers, the preparation time of the dish has reduced significantly.
A typical dal makhani recipe is made using the following ingredients and processes.
|Green Whole Moong dal||1 cup|
|Chilli powder||to taste|
- Soak the dal in hot water for an hour.
- Chop onion, tomato, ginger/garlic finely.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal, onion, tomato, all the dry ingredients and a blob of butter. Cook very well till very soft, for about 6 whistles.
- Transfer the cooked dal to a pan, add the milk and cook till it mixes well.
- Check for taste and add salt/chilli powder if required.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Remove from stove and add another blob of butter. Once it melts, mix well and serve with Chappatis, Naan or Rice.
Instead of milk, you could use cream or a combination of both.