Hara Bhara Kebab
The Hara Bhara kebab is the most popular and just one of the many Punjabi kebabs to choose from. It is made with spinach and peas which give the kebab its distinct flavour and its name! rolling the kebab in bread crumbs before frying makes them crisp and crunchy.
|Chana Dal||1 tbsp|
|Roughly chopped ginger||1 tsp|
|Garlic (Lehsun), grated||1 tsp|
|Finely chopped green chillies||3 tsp|
|Roughly chopped palak, blanched and drained||1/2 cup|
|Green Peas||1/4 cup boiled|
|Grated Paneer (cottage cheese)||1/4 cup|
|Boiled and Mashed Aloo||1/4 cup|
|Chat Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Punjabi Garam Masala, readily available||1/4 tsp|
|Maida dissolved with 1/3 cup water||1/4 cup|
|Oil for deep-frying|
|Tomato ketchup & green chutney|
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal. Add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and ¾ cup of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles or until the dal is cooked. Drain and discard any excess water.
- Combine the spinach, green peas and cooked dal mixture and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and add the paneer, potatoes, chat masala, punjabi garam masala, ¼ cup breadcrumbs and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into10 equal portions and shape each kebab into 50 mm. (2”) flat kebabs.
- Dip each kebab into the prepared flour- water paste and roll in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry them till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- You can also cook the kebabs on a greased tava (griddle) by following the same procedure till step 5 and cook until golden brown in colour from both the sides.