Aloo Matar Samosa
The traditional Aloo Matar Samosa is large and its filling is mainly made up of potatoes and peas. Adding kaju and kishmish makes it a rich and tasty snack. For that extra zing you can also add some Amchur powder or black salt to the filling mixture. Serve hot delicious samosas with a sweet or spicy chutney or top them with hot Chole.
|For The Samosa Covering|
|For The Filling|
|Finely Chopped onions||1/2 cup|
|Peeled and mashed Aloo||1 cup boiled|
|Green peas||1 cup boiled|
|Grated Paneer (Cottage Cheese)||1/2 cup|
|Roughly chopped cashewnuts (kaju)||2 tbsp|
|Raisins (kismis)||2 tbsp|
|Green Chilli paste||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger (adrak) paste||1/2 tsp|
|Lemon Juice||2 tsp|
|Salt to taste|
|Chopped coriander (dhania)||2 tbsp|
|Oil for deep-frying|
|Chutney of your choice or channa for serving|
For the Samosa covering:
- Combine the flour, oil and salt in a bowl and knead firm dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a 125 mm. X 50 mm. (5″ x 2″) oval. Keep aside.
- For the filling Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the coriander, and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on a slow flame.
- Remove from the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide each samosa covering oval into 2 halves.
- Make a cone from each part and stuff it with 1 portion of the filling.
- Seal the edges carefully using a little water.
- Repeat with the remaining oval halves and filling to make 11 more samosas.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas on a slow flame till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice or with Peshawari Chole.