This is a savory Indian style rice dish flavoured with whole spices and fried onions. Soaking the Basmati rice before cooking makes all the difference. Serve with your favourite Indian curry or Dal .
|Basmati rice||2 cups|
|Vegetable oil||3 tbs.|
|Onion (finely chopped)||1 medium|
|Fresh, hot green chillies ( finely shopped)||3|
|Garlic (finely chopped)||2 cloves|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tbs.|
|Water or Vegetable stock||3 cups|
|Dhania Powdered||2 teaspoons|
- Wash the rice in several changes of water. Drain.
- Soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat three tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the rice to green chillies, garlic, ginger, garam masala and cook for two to three minutes, until all the grains of rice have been coated.
- Now pour in the water or stock, bring rice to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until all moisture is absorbed and rice is cooked.